You guys!! The podcast we recorded for Young House Love is up on iTunes! We chatted with them for over an hour (because we had SO much to talk about and group vacations to plan), but somehow they managed to edit us down into an intelligible segment! The entire podcast is linked below, but here is the Cliffs Notes version:
- I (Clea) grew up in LA and know some celebrities, but do NOT know Amal Clooney which really upsets Joanna and she thinks I should just try harder.
- We organized 2 of GP's homes and live for her.
- Biggest organizing mistake: YOU CANNOT TAKE SHORTCUTS
- Biggest conundrum: The organizing process results in a huge mess! It's the only way to put it back in proper order.
- Biggest organizing to-do: Group like-items together
- No one needs 11 face creams
- Mantra: You get the item or the space, but not both. Decide the value of the item versus the value of negative space, and let that guide your decision whether to keep or purge.
- Correct products are game changers. Incorrect products are just mo' products, mo' problems.
- 3 shopping tricks: Take measurements; Make yourself a list; Overbuy and return
- Best way to get your feet wet: Always start with a drawer.
- Best pantry hack: Back stock bins for overflow.
- General pantry categories will keep you from pantry paralysis.
- Setup systems around your habits instead of trying to adapt your habits to new systems.
- Lose the packaging whenever possible.
- LABELS ARE LIFE.
- We earn the least fun mom award every time.
- Stella will probably not be working for The Home Edit when she grows up.
- We're kind of a lot.
WATCH OUR INSTASTORIES LISTENING TO THE PODCAST FOR THE FIRST TIME
FAVORITE PRODUCTS LISTED IN SHOW NOTES
The Divided Turntable is one of the most versatile products, and can be used all over the house. It's our go-to item for creative a caddy, and we use it in a playroom for art supplies, tea and coffee in the kitchen, cleaning supplies in the laundry room, and pharmacy and first aid in the bathroom.
Storage baskets are an essential staple for every room. A seagrass basket compliments all styles of home decor, and neatly contains your odds-and-ends.
The single best thing you can do to transform your closet, is to use a good set of hangers and toss anything mismatched. Your clothes will be properly cared for, and your closet will look refined and polished.
Big thank you to John and Sherry for including us in their show, and being some of our favorite online friends!
XO, C + J